- It’s easy to get to Glenfinnan Station Museum by car, making a convenient stop along the A830 “road to the isles” from Fort William to Mallaig. However parking can be limited and parking charges may apply at certain times of year, so what better way to arrive at a station museum than by train? We recommend taking a train from Fort William station, passing over the famous Glenfinnan Viaduct before alighting at Glenfinnan to find out more about the line you have just travelled. Train times can be found on Scotrail’s website:
More information from Network Rail, regarding the viaduct and the railway, can be found at the following link: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/stories/film-the-magic-of-the-glenfinnan-viaduct
- You can also arrive at Glenfinnan by bus; details can be found at
- . We offer a luggage storage facility and just welcome a donation for the museum for this service.
- It is easy to fill the time between your outward and return train, with our Dining Car serving snacks and light lunches, the Museum and signal box cinema, and our newly completed viaduct trail walk providing a scenic route to visit Loch Shiel and the Monument to Bonny Prince Charlie. For the more energetic, there is some fantastic hillwalking to be had from Glenfinnan Station, and afterwards why not stay overnight in our sleeping car bunkhouse for a full Glenfinnan experience? Our staff are all local, and knowledgeable about the area, so do feel free to call for more information.
- The Museum is wheelchair accessible and dogs are welcome in the museum. Regrettably the signal box and dining car are not accessible for wheelchair users. Dogs are not permitted in the dining car but are permitted on the terrace area outside.
- The West Highland Line is truly the line for all seasons, and as such we welcome visits at any time of year. However it is worth noting that during the winter months it is worth calling ahead to check we are around, officially we are open from Easter until the end of October. Our opening times are 9am – 5pm. We can sometimes open by arrangement for times outside of these hours.